Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sweet Potato Inspirations...

I will kick myself later when it's subzero but I'm kind of excited for fall. :)

Today I made some very fall oatmeal. Read: sweet potato. So filling, delicious and easy to make.  Here's my recipe:

Sweet Potato Oatmeal
Serves 4

  • 1 large sweet potato
  • Brown sugar
  • Cinnamon
  • Vanilla bean sugar (optional)
  • 1 cup oats (not instant)
  • 1 cup Water/Milk 
1. Wash sweet potato and slice into circles.
2. Place them on a pre-greased baking dish.
3. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon to taste (it will melt all over the sweet potatoes #yum). You can stick a fork into the them a few times if you want the sugar to seep into it better.
4. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until tender. For the purpose of this recipe the mushier the better.
5. You can remove the peel or leave it on. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a pot and mash them up.
6. Add oats and and milk or water. (I like to add a 1/2 almond milk 1/2 water mixture).
7. Cook on low heat stirring occasionally until it reaches desired consistency.
8. Enjoy!

I pretty much made this up so feel free to make it your own.  I found that I didn't need to add any additional sugar/splenda because the sweet potatoes took care of that but I was generous with the brown sugar.  You can easily make this in the microwave as well if you are on the run by following all the steps but instead use a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 3 minutes for 1 serving.

It took me quite some time to eat it because it was so filling. It tasted decadent and I was still full at 1:30 p.m. Let me know if you try it, like it, modify it or have any other sweet potato inspirations of your own.

xo,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment